Community rallies after Tamworth couple loses everything in house fire

Tamworth residents Heather and Gary Matthews are the subject of a GoFundMe campaign after a fire destroyed their home. Photo from GoFundMe.

A GoFundMe account has been launched in support of Tamworth residents Gary and Heather Matthews who lost their home in a fire over the weekend.

Fortunately there was no loss of life, but everything within the house was destroyed. Heather escaped with only the clothes on her back.

Gary, a talented bowl turner and the proud owner of Matthew’s Studios, has generously handcrafted and donated many pieces of his work for charity over the years. Heather, the main fixture at Tamworth Medical Centre, has dedicated 41 years of her professional life helping so many through times of hardship, illness, and loss.

The community has responded in a big way already, donating $31,170 to the cause. A link to donate cane be found at

“Gary and I are so overwhelmed with all your kindness and generosity. It’s truly appreciated,” wrote Heather. “Thanks to all of you.”

Organizers hope that the GoFundMe account will provide Gary and Heather some financial support as they start to piece together a new chapter of their lives. Thankfully, they have each other, Whit and Luke, Curt and Laura, and their beautiful Maddy, along with their extended families and this community to help them remember they’re not alone.


error: Content is protected !!