BASTERT, Wolfgang Johannes
We have lost an amazing person, Wolfgang Johannes Bastert, just days after his 92nd birthday.
Wolf is very sadly missed by his many friends and family. Wolf was very close to Ken and Deborah Clarke and Ken’s parents Ken and Peggy Clarke. He joined the Clarke family in 1985 and lived in Newburgh until 2003. He was a beloved grandfather figure to Harry and Alison Clarke. Wolf is also dearly missed by Nancy Doucet who stayed with and cared for Wolf in his final years, his nephew Wolfgang Bastert and family, his friends Reno and Pauline Torresan, Christl Reidel, Sylvia Filkins, Inez Powell, his former wife Ruth Ann and many others.
Wolf is the fourth son of Hermann Heinrich Wilhelm Bastert and Katharina Wilhelmine Johanne (Käthe) Bastert. Wolf was born in Wuppertal, Germany where his father worked as a protestant pastor.
Wolf had six brothers (eldest to youngest):
• Hermann, born in Wuppertal 1926, worked as a protestant pastor in Warburg, Germany, he died last year age 95
• Paul-Gerhard, born in Wuppertal 1927, worked as a protestant pastor in Oer Erkenschwick, Germany, he died in 1991
• Helmut, born in Wuppertal 1928, worked as a protestant pastor for the German marine, he died in 1989
• Hans-Martin, born in Wuppertal 1932, worked as an engineer at a company in Dortmund, Germany, he died last year age 89
• Horst, born in Wuppertal died as a baby in 1935
• Friedrich, born in Soest 1936, worked as a protestant pastor near Bonn, and continues to live near Bonn
The boys grew up in Soest. The family moved there because their father worked as a director of a Protestant institution helping women in need. (“Westfälische Frauenhilfe”).
Wolf decided to immigrate to Canada in 1960. He moved to Hamburg and worked at the harbour to earn the money for his emigration by ship. In Canada he graduated as an electrical technician and worked in the Cambridge, Woodstock and Toronto areas for CN Telecommunications.
Arrangements in the care of Wartman Funeral Home – Napanee. Friends desiring may contribute to the L&A Hospital Foundation in memory of Wolfgang.
Online condolences and donations at www.wartmanfuneralhomes.com on Wolf’s obit page