Greater Napanee Emergency Services remind public of cooking safety tips

Greater Napanee Emergency Services respond to a call at a multi unit residence on Water Street. Photo by GNES Deputy Chief Bill Hammond.
Beaver Staff

Earlier this week the Greater Napanee Emergency Services department responded to a late-night fire call from a multi-unit residence.

Emergency Services confirmed that the fire in the unit was caused by a stove in use that was unattended, which caused the unit’s fire alarm to go off.
The incident could have had unfortunate results if the neighbouring apartment had not heard the smoke alarm going off. Luckily, no one in the multi-unit residence was injured and no major damages occurred.
Greater Napanee Emergency Services is reminding residents to stay in the kitchen while cooking and never leave any cooking appliances unattended while in use. If leaving the room is required, turn off the cooking appliance until it can be supervised again. Emergency Services would like to remind everyone of the importance of checking smoke alarms within dwellings and to ensure that all smoke alarms have working batteries. It is recommended to test alarms every month to confirm that the alarms are in working order.
Cooking left unattended is a leading cause of home fires in Ontario.
GNES is offering the following cooking safety tips and recommendations to help prevent the cause of a cooking fire:
• To prevent cooking fires, you must be alert. You will not be alert if you are sleepy, have consumed alcohol, drugs or medicine that makes you drowsy
• Always stay in the kitchen while cooking. If you must leave, turn off the stove
• Keep anything that burns (i.e. oven mitts, cooking utensils, dish cloths, paper towels and potholders) a safe distance from the stove
• Keep a proper-fitting pot lid near the stove when cooking. If a pot catches fire, slide the lid over the pot and turn off the stove. Do not move the pot until it has cooled completely
• Loose-fitting clothes can come in contact with stove burners and catch fires. Wear short sleeves, tight sleeves, or roll them up when cooking
For more information on fire safety, contact the Town’s Emergency Services department at 613-354-4289 or visit the Town’s website at
error: Content is protected !!