Ontario’s schools will officially remain closed for the remainder of the school year due to COVID-19.
Premier Doug Ford made the announcement on Tuesday afternoon, adding that online learning would continue and students would be given their year-end report cards.
Education minister Stephen Lecce said a full plan for the reopening of schools in September would be announced by the end of next month.
“It is obvious that schools will not look the same,” Lecce said. “We will have to reimagine education in some respects in September given that there will have to be some protocol changes.”
Ontario’s publicly funded schools have been closed since March Break. Since then the reopening had been postponed on a few occasions before Tuesday’s announcement to close schools came with just over six weeks left in the regular school year.