80 Years Ago
November 29, 1939
Thieves had been active on Newburgh Road as one farmer had lost 35 hens, another 25 hens while two other farmers had calves stolen.
Police had been notified and were doing everything possible to locate the stolen animals. In the meantime officers were encouraging farmers to keep their livestock locked up at night.
-Rev. Father W.P Healy, rector of St. Patrick’s Church in Napanee, was awarded damages of $3,047.31 in his actions for $5,000 against S.B. Crane of Niagara Falls following a car accident near Newtonville.
30 Years Ago
Nov. 29, 1989
An agreement was reached between Amherst Island Education Committee and the Lennox and Addington County Board of Education to form a tribunal to examine the transportation of students from the island to school.
The board approved the tribunal proposal Nov. 22, 1989, later ratified by the AIEC at a Nov. 23 meeting with parents of Grade 7-8 students who use the ferry.
Disgruntled parents agreed to return their children back to school after refusing to do so since September of that year. Children were forced to ride the ferry on foot in the lobby, accompanied by a bus driver. Parents wanted their children transported by the safety of a bus while on the ferry.
-As of Dec. 1, 1989, the Napanee Recreation Committee was to be formally disbanded in an effort to ‘streamline’ the process of making recreation-related decisions.
-More than 133 years since a train first passed by Napanee’s train station, thanks to the work of many, it’s legacy would live on.
Slated for destruction two years prior, months of work allowed the station to re-open in November 1989.
MP for Frontenac, Hastings-Lennonx and Addington Bill Vankoughnet was joined by colleagues from Ottawa to celebrate the grand re-opening. Renovations were made possible by a $38,000 grant from the Ministry of Culture and Communications, $66,000 from the Ministry of Transportation, $25,000 from Via Rail and $60,000 from the town of Napanee.