80 Years Ago
Nov. 7 1939
At the regular meeting of the Napanee town council, an application was made by Dr. J.B. Willoughby, who had recently been called up for service as a medical officer in the Signal Corps at Barriefield Camp, for a leave of absence from his duties as medical officer for the Town of Napanee.
The council passed a motion granting his request and appointed as temporary medical officer Dr. S.R. Hall.
-The 1940 session of the Ontario Legislature was to open Jan. 10, 1940.
Premier Hepburn made that announcement following a Queen’s Park conference with Col. George A. Drew, the Conservative opposition leader.
30 Years Ago
Nov. 7 1989
A proposed recreation centre for Napanee and area was tabled after a special committee, designed to pursue the creation of a community centre, resigned to Napanee council.
Town council approved the letter of resignation.
Bill Grange, chair of the five-member recreation and culture committee attributed the unanimous decision of resignation to two events: the Lennox and Addington County General Hospital announcing a fundraising drive coupled with the fact an indoor pool was being constructed by a private company on Richmond Blvd.
-Lennox and Addington County General Hospital officially launched a chronic care expansion appeal to raise $2 million from the community for its bid to build better facilities for the chronically ill.
The proposed 24,000 square foot expansion to the hospital was tentatively set for completion in 1991 at a total cost of $4.5 million.
The remaining balance of $2.5 million was to be provided by the Ministry of Health and the county hospital capital fund.
-Mud Lake residents north of Odessa accused city newcomers to the lake of exaggerating facts in an effort to ban deer hunting in the area.
Another resident brought forward a list of 18 names to council calling for a ban of deer hunting.
-Santa Claus made his annual visit to Amherstview during the ninth annual Santa Claus parade.