80 Years Ago
May 30, 1939
Napanee’s telephone service received a technological facelift.
The telephone service was to be changed from the present magneto system to the most modern type of common battery operation by the end of 1939.
Under the common battery system, it would no longer be necessary to use a hand generator to signal the operator. Merely lifting the receiver from the hook would cause a small lamp to glow on the switchboard, warning the operator a number is being dialed.
– A number of lead counterfeit coins, 25 and 50 cent denominations, had been found in circulation around Napanee.
Chief of Police Edwin Watts warned merchants and the general public to be on the lookout for the counterfeit coins.
– Highway traffic officer Henry Jillings was in the Niagara Peninsula to receive training instructions to act as one of the motorcycle escorts for King George and Queen Elizabeth when they tour the Niagara District previous to crossing into the United States for their tour with President Roosevelt.
Officer Jillings would have the honour of riding his cycle beside the royal car from St. Catherines to Niagara Falls.
30 Years Ago
May 30, 1989
Napanee Ontario Provincial Police were casting a watchful eye over Napanee after assuming sole responsibility of policing within the town as of midnight, May 27, 1989.
Regular foot patrols and property checks would now be carried out by OPP, especially within the downtown area to prevent vandalism, intoxication and disruptive behaviour.
According to Staff Sgt. A.G. Bert Kea of the Napanee OPP, the majority of incidents occurred when drinking establishments closed for the evenings.
– Seniors Outreach Services (SOS) in Napanee received $60,875 in provincial funding to study seniors’ services in Lennox and Addington County and to relocate their headquarters.
SOS was in the process of relocating its offices to the Masonic Temple in Napanee.
According to Census Canada, there were 3,795 seniors living within Lennox and Addington in 1986, with about 34,000 residents living within its boundary in total.
– To help celebrate its centennial as an incorporated town, Deseronto received a $2,000 grant from the Ministry of Culture and Communications to publish a Deseronto history book.
Entitled Deseronto Then and Now, the book was co-authored by Don Lindsey of Deseronto and Al Capon of Picton. The publication was primarily comprised of photos which contrasted Deseronto in 1989 compared to 1889.