Looking Back Week of April 11

80 Years Ago

April 12, 1939

 –W.J. Trenouth, the Napanee public school principal for 22 years, resigned. Trenouth was pleased to report to the school board that in his full term as principal, he had never taken a single day off. He thanked the board and teaching staff for their  efforts in the successful operation of the schools. Trenouth said it was his intention to take a rest after concluding his final school term.

– The Napanee Board of Education voted to cancel night school courses at the Napanee Vocational School. Attendance had dwindled in recent years, settling on an average attendance of 35 people in classes offered in drafting, typing, stenography and dress making. The cost to the town to operate the program for a term was about $400.

– Ferry docks at Adolphustown and Glenora were being rebuilt to accommodate a new boat expected to be in operation during the spring. The ferry was expected to be much larger than the one that had been previously in operation at the crossing.

30 Years Ago

April 12, 1989

– Two 21-year-old local men found out that selling stolen goods doesn’t pay. The men broke into Kenmar Doors in Richmond Township and loaded a five-ton truck with aluminum strapping. They later sold the materials to a Scarborough scrap dealer about $6,000. Justice Peter Coulson sentenced the men to four months each in jail and ordered each man to pay over $10,000 each in restitution.Coulson said the men were cunning in their efforts, but cautioned that virtually all thieves get caught, saying “Few get away.”

– Napanee honoured two citizens of the year at its April 9 mayor’s levee. Bob Butcher and Anne Turnball were selected from among nine nominees. Both were recognized for their work in organizing the Napanee Santa Claus parade.

– The Napanee Bantam Stars won back-to-back games at home by 5-3 scores to beat Blenheim and win their second consecutive OMHA championship.  The Stars finished the year with a 50-5-3 record. The celebration was delayed as the two teams ended the deciding game engaged in a bench-clearing brawl that lasted more than 20 minutes.

– Raymond Doyle, the only education director in the 15-year history of the Frontenac-Lennox and Addington Roman Catholic Separate School Board announced he’d step down from the position after suffering a heart attack in January. Doyle was a driving force behind bringing French immersion to the area and he also considered a successful lobby for Grade 13 funding at Holy Cross to be one of the biggest successes of his administrative career.

error: Content is protected !!