A Napanee mom is urging parents to check their kids’ Halloween candy diligently after she says her daughter bit into a chocolate bar with a needle inside.
Kelly Perry is one of two Napanee residents who reported finding a sharp object inside Halloween candy to the Napanee OPP this past weekend.
“My daughter was taking a bite of her chocolate bar, the little Snickers bar,” said Perry. “She was in the kitchen taking a bite and all of a sudden she felt a little prick under her tongue. She bit half the chocolate bar and there was a needle sticking right out of it.”
Perry says she has since taken her 12-year-old daughter to the hospital and is nervously awaiting the results to see if the object was contaminated.
“She just had her blood work done yesterday,” said Perry. “If somebody’s sick enough to put a needle in a chocolate bar, who knows if they’ve got something too?”
In talking with police and the other reported victim, Perry says it’s possible the candy could have come from the same area.
“We’re trying to narrow down the street and working with the police,” said Perry.
Both reports cite a small Snickers bar as the candy in which the object was found. Perry says at first glance the candy appeared normal but a closer look revealed a small pinhole in the wrapper.
“You don’t expect it in Napanee,” said Perry. “It’s about to the point now do you take a metal detector over your kids candy before they even dump it out?”
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Napanee OPP at 1-888-310-1122 or anonymously at 1-800-222-8477.