Looking Back — Week of Nov. 2, 2017

Each week, the Beaver looks back on stories from the past. Here is what happened this week, by year…

1952

– The Ontario government committed to spending 80 per cent of the cost toward a bridge between Deseronto and Cronk’s Ferry in Prince Edward County. The remaining 20 per cent would be borne by local municipalities, unless they were successful in securing federal involvement in the project. To that point, the federal government took the position the bridge was not its responsibility. The province’s district municipal engineer, E. Martson had indicated the entire project could be completed for $238,000 if a swing bridge could be built for $70,000.

– At a special meeting Oct. 31 Napanee town council passed a bylaw authorizing council to ask questions of the electorate about whether two-year terms would be preferable to one-year terms. Mayor Art Kimmerly introduced the bylaw. He said it could save money as each election cost the town over $200. Councillor Wightman was the lone dissenter. He argued electors should have a chance to replace a representative every year.

– Council members did not move forward with a grant request for the Napanee Memorial Arena as they felt more information was required. They also decided to put a referendum question forward to the electorate to determine if there was support for borrowing money to build the facility.

 

1987

– The Lennox and Addington County Board of Education instructed its education and personnel committee to study implementation of Junior Kindergarten in its schools. Trustees made the decision after watching a presentation from the Hastings County board about how the program was working in its schools. There, about 870 students registered (about 75 per cent of those eligible) and four new classes were added the first week of school. The board hired new teachers for the program and it also built seven portables to accommodate the growth in school populations.

– Deseronto was moving forward to secure 50-per-cent provincial economic development funding for improvements to the town. A draft wish list for inclusion in the revitalization included a capital works program for infrastructure, upgrades to the Deseronto Community Centre, tree planting and landscaping at Centennial Park and Municipal Park, an expanded municipal office, library improvements, a downtown facade study, and streetscape improvements. An official plan amendment was necessary to declare a community improvement area.

error: Content is protected !!